What is Domestic Violence under New Jersey Law?
Domestic Violence means the occurrence of one or more of the following crimes upon a person protected under the New Jersey Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1990:
|Terroristic Threats||N.J.S.A. 2C:12-3|
|Criminal Restraint||N.J.S.A. 2C:13-2|
|False Imprisonment||N.J.S.A. 2C:13-3|
|Sexual Assault||N.J.S.A. 2C:14-2|
|Criminal Sexual Contact||N.J.S.A. 2C:14-3|
|Criminal Mischief||N.J.S.A. 2C:17-3|
|Criminal Trespass||N.J.S.A. 2C:18-3|
Who is a New Jersey Domestic Violence Victim?
Under New Jersey law a domestic violence victim is a person protected by the domestic violence act and includes any person:
- Who is 18 years of age or older, or,
- Who is an emancipated minor, and who has been subjected to domestic violence by:
- former spouse,
- any other person who is a present or former household member OR
- Who, regardless of age, has been subjected to domestic violence by a person:
- with whom the alleged New Jersey domestic violence victim has a child in common, or
- with whom the alleged New Jersey domestic violence victim anticipates having a child in common, if one of the New Jersey domestic violence case parties is pregnant, or
- Who, regardless of age, has been subjected to domestic violence by a person with whom the alleged New Jersey domestic violence victim has had a dating relationship:
- a victim may be below the age of 18,
- The New Jersey domestic violence defendant must be over the age of 18 or emancipated at the time of the offense
The Law Office of Carlos Diaz-Cobo is committed to helping individuals who have been charged with an alleged act of domestic violence. We have extensive trial experience representing our clients in the area of domestic violence.
The law offices of Carlos Diaz-Cobo is experienced and committed to successfully defending individuals accused of domestic violence. Call the Law Offices of Carlos Diaz-Cobo at 732-249-1125.